Where did Canadians plan on shopping this holiday?
Holiday Spend 2009 (C$ Per Capita/Household)
- Blue - Mostly power centre / standalone retailers
- Yellow - Mostly shopping centre retailers
- Grey - Internet merchants
- Size - relative spend
Maritz Canada recently published their Canadian Holiday Shopping Poll which we analysed a little differently. We multipled the intention to purchase with the average purchase amount to come up with a per household sales estimate. This number should roughly approximate relative sales at each of these retailers.
So what does this tell us:
It provides a unique glimpse into the 2009 holiday retail landscape. Shopping Centre, Power Centre and Internet merchants can be compared directly.
- Walmart is the dominant holiday retail destination in Canada
- Costco, with a limited customer base (memberships) is #2 in Canada for holiday shopping, wow
- Shopping Centres are retail aggregators (venue for specialty retailers to access traffic)
- Pentration at internet merchants is now of similar magnitude to mainstream retailers
Based on Maritz Canada 2009 Canadian Holiday Shopping Poll