Grocery giant Loblaw Cos. Ltd. Is testing a new discount store in Calgary as it braces for intensified competition from low-cost U.S. titans and incumbent Canadian rivals. Loblaw recently rolled out a 10,000 square foot outlet in Calgary called The Box by No Frills, which is a smaller version of its discount outlet that it started in Ontario and has expanded to Western provinces. (Globe and Mail)
Loblaws announced Tuesday that a total of seven stores, including six existing Loblaws stores and one new construction, will be part of the initial launch phase of their new 'Provigo Le Marche' banner, which will be launched in 2013. The Provigo Le Marché banner will join the current network of 77 Provigo stores located across Québec (Canada Newswire).
Loblaws Companies Ltd. has filed a prospectus for a $7 billion dollar REIT called Choice Property Real Estate (Financial Post). It includes 35 million sq.ft. of leasable space within 415 retail properties, an office complex and nine warehouse properties. Loblaws says the value of the properties will be above $7 billion and will represent 75% of it's real estate portfolio. Retail properties include 267 with a stand-alone Loblaw store, 143 with a Loblaw store and one or more third-party tenants and five properties with only third-party tenants. Loblaws will account for 88.3% of Choice Properties' gross leaseable area.
Below is the preliminary prospectus for Choice Properties Real Estate:
Loblaws Companies Limited Reports 2012 Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year Ended December 29, 2012 Results
Fourth Quarter 2012 Summary
- Basic net earnings per common share of $0.51, including a $0.16 charge related to restructuring, compared to $0.62 in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- EBITDA margin(2) of 6.0%, or 6.8% excluding the charge for restructuring, compared to 6.6% in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Revenue of $7,465 million, an increase of 1.2% over the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Retail sales growth of 0.9% and flat same-store sales(3).
Loblaws' Response to Increased Competition:
- Introducing a loyalty card in 2013 to supplement the current credit card (Globe and Mail)
- Has aquired the prescription files to over 95 Zellers Pharmacies, while preparing to roll-out updated pharmacy technology and improved processing time (Canada Newswire)
- Is cutting 700 jobs in payroll administration and at the Brampton Head Office (Toronto Star)