Update Sept 27th: Map and tables here
Target announced 84 additional Zellers locations that it will acquire. Of these, up to 29 will be converted to Target locations and the remainder will be transferred to other retailers.
Why only 29 when they could have selected 110 (This new figure was originally reported by Target in August)? We can speculate that:
- The others did not meet Target locational criteria
- Lease negotiations were unsucessful
- Renovation costs were excessive
- Relationships with Canadian developers such as RioCan better than initially anticipated by Target leading to more joint developments
The locations are below. Bold locations are in largest markets that Target had not previously announced entry to, most likely will be converted (or entered by Target as a new development).
List of Target's second and final selection of 84 additional Zellers leases
Includes potential Target stores and leases sold to other retailers or back to landlords
Walmart transfers from a second press release are now indicated
- To Walmart - 1221 Canyon Meadows Drive S.E., Calgary, AB - Deer Valley Shopping Centre
- To Walmart - 110-3210 118th Ave., Edmonton, AB - Abbottsfield Shoppers Mall
- To Walmart - 87th Ave. & 156th St., Edmonton, AB - Meadowlark Shopping Centre
- To Walmart - 9402 135th Ave. N.W., Edmonton, AB - Northgate Centre
- To Walmart - 3931 Calgary Trail Southbound N.W., Edmonton, AB - South Park Centre
- 8882 170th St., Suite 1053, Edmonton, AB - West Edmonton Mall
- To Walmart - 13557 114th Ave. & Groat Road, Edmonton, AB - Westmount Shopping Centre
- 3292 Dunmore Road S.E., Medicine Hat, AB - Medicine Hat Mall
British Columbia (11)
- 4567 Lougheed Highway, Burnaby, BC - Brentwood Mall
- 11000 8th St., No. 1, Dawson Creek, BC - Dawson Mall
- 945 Columbia St. W., Kamloops, BC - Sahali Centre Mall
- 1876 Cooper Road, Kelowna, BC - Orchard Park Plaza
- 2210 Main St., Suite 100, Penticton, BC - Penticton Power Centre
- To Walmart - 500 Second Ave. W., Prince Rupert, BC - Rupert Square
- 8311 Landsdowne Road, Richmond, BC - Landsdowne Centre
- 1151 10th Ave. S.W., #400, Salmon Arm, BC - Piccadilly Place Mall
- 10151 King George Highway, Surrey, BC - Surrey Place/Central City
- 1175 Lynn Valley Road, Vancouver, BC - Lynn Valley Centre
- 1610 Hillside Ave., Victoria, BC - Hillside Shopping Centre
New Brunswick (3)
- 1180 Prospect St. E. Fredericton, NB - Uptown Centre
- 1380 Mountain Road, Moncton, NB - Northwest Centre
- To Walmart - 651 Fairville Blvd., Saint John, NB - Lancaster Mall
Newfoundland and Labrador (1)
- To Walmart - 470 Topsail Road, St. John's, NL - Zellers Plaza
Nova Scotia (6)
- 142 S.Albion St., Amherst, NS - Amherst Centre
- To Walmart - 900 Cole Harbour Road, Dartmouth, NS - Colby Village Plaza
- To Walmart - 1065 Central Ave., Greenwood, NS - Zellers Plaza
- 194 Chain Lake Drive, Halifax, NS - Bayers Lake Power Centre
- To Walmart - 116 King St., North Sydney, NS - North Sydney Mall
- Prince St., Sydney, NS - Sydney Shopping Centre
- 60 Martindale Crescent, Ancaster, ON - Meadowland Power Centre
- 2383 Highway #2, Unit D, Bowmanville, ON - Clarington Town Centre
- 410 Fairview Drive, Brantford, ON- Brantford Centre
- Grand Ave. W. & Keil Drive Extension, Chatham, ON - Thames-Lea Plaza
- To Walmart - 300 Guelph St., Georgetown, ON - Georgetown Market
- To Walmart - 1980 Ogilvie Road, Unit 171, Gloucester, ON - Gloucester Centre
- To Walmart - 499 Mohawk Road E., Hamilton, ON - County Fair Plaza
- To Walmart - 1550 Cameron St., Hawkesbury, ON - Hawkesbury Gateway Shopping Centre
- 245 Strasburgh Road, Kitchener, ON- Laurentian Power Centre
- To Walmart - 1005 Ottawa St. N., Kitchener, ON - Stanley Park Mall
- To Walmart - 600 Mitchell Road S., Listowel, ON - Listowel Carriage Shopping Centre
- To Walmart - 1275 Highbury Ave., London, ON - Northland Mall
- 2225 Erin Mills Parkway, Mississauga, ON - Sheridan Mall
- 1131 Dundas St. W., Mississauga, ON - Westdale Mall
- To Walmart - 1111 Davis Drive, Newmarket, ON - 404 Town Centre
- 700 Lawrence Ave. W., North York, ON - Lawrence Square
- To Walmart - 1700 Wilson Ave., North York, ON - Sheridan Mall North York
- 1455 Rebecca St., Oakville, ON - Hopedale Mall
- To Walmart - 1300 Kind St. E., Oshawa, ON - Kingsway Village
- 419 King St. W., Oshawa, ON - Oshawa Centre
- 156 Sparks St., Ottawa, ON- Heritage Place
- To Walmart? - 950 Lansdowne St. W., Peterborough, ON - Parkway Centre (must verify mall name)
- 1355 Kingston Road, Pickering, ON - Pickering Town Centre
- 50 Thermos Road, Scarborough, ON - Warden & Eglinton
- To Walmart - 3469 Lawrence Ave. E., Scarborough, ON - Cedarbrae Mall
- To Walmart - 293 Bay St., Sault Ste. Marie, ON - Station Mall
- To Walmart - 285 Geneva St., St. Catharines, ON - Fairview Mall
- 640 Queenston Road, Stoney Creek, ON - Queenston Place
- To Walmart - 1020 Dawson Road, Thunder Bay, ON - County Fair Plaza
- To Walmart - 1101 West Arthur St., Thunder Bay, ON - Thunder Bay Mall
- To Walmart - 170 Broadway, Tillsonburg, ON - Tillsonburg Town Centre
- To Walmart - 1000 Gerrard St., Toronto, ON - Gerrard Square
- 2290 Dundas St. W., Toronto, ON - Southside/Pond Mills Shopping Centre
- To Walmart - 70 Bridgeport Road, Waterloo, ON - Zellers Centre
- 800 Niagara St. N., Welland, ON - Seaway Mall
- 1550 Huron Church Road, Windsor, ON - Ambassador Plaza
- 600 boul. Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Beloeil, QC - Montenach Mall
- 7200 boul. Taschereau (Local 21), Brossard, QC - Place Portabello
- 1324 boul. Talbot, Chicoutimi, QC - Place De Saguenay
- 920 boul. Maloney, Gatineau, QC - Les Galeries Gatineau
- 1055 boul. Firestone, Joliette, QC - Les Galeries Joliette
- To Walmart - 161 Route 230 Ouest, Bureau 400, La Pocatière, QC - Les Galeries De La Pocatière
- To Walmart - 2877 chemin Chambly, Longueuil, QC - Place Desormeaux
- 1700 rue Sherbrooke, Magog, QC - Les Galeries Orford
- To Walmart - 3121 rue Granby, Montreal, QC - Centre Commercial Domaine
- 7275 rue Sherbrooke Est., Montreal, QC - Place Versailles Shopping Centre
- To Walmart - 6700 chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges, Montreal, QC - Plaza Côte Des Neiges
- To Walmart - 101 boul. Cardinal-Léger, # 74, Pincourt, QC - Le Faubourg De l'Île'
- To Walmart - 12655 rue Sherbrooke Est., Point-aux-Trembles, QC - Carrefour De La Pointe
- To Walmart - 940 13e Ave. Nord, Sherbrooke, QC - Galeries Quatres Saisons
- To Walmart - 450 boul. Poliquin, Sorel, QC - Les Promenades De Sorel
- 450 boul. Arthur Sauvé, St. Eustache, QC - Carrefour St-Eustache
- 134 Primrose Drive, Saskatoon, SK - The Mall at Lawson Heights
- 2325 Preston Ave., Saskatoon, SK - Market Mall
- 255-277 Broadway St. E., Yorkton, SK - Parkland Mall
Target Finalizes Real Estate Transaction with Selection of 84 Additional Zellers Leases
MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 23, 2011 /CNW/ - Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) is pleased to announce today that it has finalized its real estate transaction with Zellers Inc. with the selection of 84 additional Zellers leases, bringing the total number of leases selected, including an initial group of 105 leases selected in May, to 189. From this second group, Target has acquired the leasehold interests for 29 locations, the vast majority of which will open as Target stores beginning in 2013. The remaining leases have been or will be sold to other Canadian retailers or back to landlords.
"Target is excited to take another meaningful step toward our expansion in Canada," said Tony Fisher, president, Target Canada. "We look forward to delivering a superior shopping experience for our guests throughout Canada and building on our strong reputation as a good neighbour and partner in the communities in which we do business."
Target announced in January that it would purchase, for C$1.825 billion, the leasehold interests of up to 220 sites currently operated by Zellers Inc., a subsidiary of Hudson's Bay Company. In May, Target selected an initial group of 105 leases, spanning all 10 provinces, in conjunction with its first payment to Zellers Inc. The vast majority of those sites will become Target stores beginning in 2013. The 84 leases announced today are part of Target's second and final selection, and include the 39 leases for which Target transferred the rights to Walmart, as announced in June. As part of its transaction with Walmart, Target acquired the lease for one of Walmart's vacant properties, which will open as a Target store. A full list of the addresses included in Target's second selection accompanies this release.
Target plans to open 125 to 135 stores in Canada, the majority of which will open in 2013, beginning with the first cycle in March and continuing with four subsequent cycles later in the year. All selected sites that will become Target stores will be subleased to Zellers and will continue to operate as a Zellers store for some time. For locations that will become Target stores, the majority will be closed for at least six to nine months as they undergo significant remodelling prior to opening. On average, about $10 to $11 million will be invested in remodelling each location. Target plans to announce the locations of its March 2013 store openings in the coming months. Stores in subsequent opening cycles will be announced throughout 2012.
Target is excited to build its talented and dedicated team in Canada. The company has already begun to hire team members for positions at its Mississauga headquarters location, and Target looks forward to beginning the store hiring process in 2012. Each Target store in Canada will employ approximately 150 to 200 team members. Target will also engage with Zellers associates to make it easy for them to apply for jobs at Target. Canadians interested in working for Target are encouraged to visit Target.ca/careers to learn more about job opportunities and Target's fun, collaborative work environment.
Walmart Canada completes acquisition of leases for 39 stores
Canada's fastest-growing retailer to create more than 5,000 jobs
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Sept. 23, 2011 /CNW/ - Today Walmart Canada announced that it has completed the acquisition from Target Canada of leases for 39 store locations currently occupied by Zellers. Walmart also announced the locations acquired. It is anticipated that these locations will open as Walmart stores in late 2012. Walmart expects this announcement will create more than 5,000 construction, trade and store jobs and will represent a significant investment in Canadian communities.
"We are pleased to have the opportunity to bring more Walmart stores to Canadians across the country," said David Cheesewright, Walmart Canada president and CEO. "Canadians understand our value and quality proposition, and customers at all income levels rely on us to save them money and to be their one-stop shopping destination."
The new Walmart stores are expected to open in late 2012 and will be a mix of discount stores, which offer general merchandise and a broad selection of pantry foods, and supercentres, which offer general merchandise as well as a full selection of groceries under one roof.
"Each new Walmart store will deliver everyday low prices on the thousands of items Canadians need. We know that times are tough and we are committed to helping save Canadians money," added Cheesewright.
Price audits show shoppers save more than 11 per cent on a basket of everyday goods when they shop at a Walmart Canada store, compared to the market. The company estimates that it saves Canadians $17 million each month, and announced earlier this year that by rolling back more than 100,000 prices in 2011 Walmart would save Canadians an additional $55 million in 2011.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada, as part of Walmart International, belongs to the strongest global retail chain in the world, with access to best practices from 28 countries around the world. This network provides global best practices and compelling career opportunities for Walmart Canada associates.
Since Walmart opened its doors in Canada in 1994, the company has become one of the country's largest employers. Recognized as having one of Canada's top corporate cultures, Walmart offers Canadians world-class careers and is recognized within the Walmart global network as attracting and retaining some of the world's top retail talent. Walmart is recognized for hiring for attitude and investing in associates who demonstrate promise.
Walmart Canada is a global leader in sustainable business practices, and is recognized for its efforts to promote the sharing of best practices across the business community. The company regularly tours competitors through its operations, including its new fresh produce distribution centre in Alberta, one of the world's most sustainable distribution centres, to showcase its sustainable supply chain and distribution practices.
Facts about Walmart Canada
- Nine out of 10 Canadians shop at Walmart Canada
- Price audits show shoppers save more than 11 per cent on a basket of everyday goods when they shop at a Walmart Canada store, compared to the market
- Walmart Canada has been recognized as having one of Canada's top 10 corporate cultures by Waterstone Human Capital
- Walmart Canada is a global leader in sustainable business practices and shares its best practices with competitors around the world
- Walmart Canada accounts for more than half of the retail growth in Canada and creates thousands of construction and in-store jobs every year
- In 2010, Walmart Canada made payments of $15 billion to Canadian suppliers
- Walmart Canada has donated and raised more than $125 million to Canadian charities and communities since 1994.
Location of the future Walmart Canada sites
Today, Walmart Canada confirmed the locations of the 39 sites, currently operated by Zellers, for which it has secured leasehold rights from Target Canada.
British Columbia Rupert Square Prince Rupert Alberta Northgate Centre Edmonton Westmount Shopping Centre Edmonton South Park Centre Edmonton Abbottsfield Shoppers Mall Edmonton Meadowlark Edmonton Deer Valley Calgary Ontario Gerrard Square Toronto Sheridan Mall Toronto Cedarbrae Mall Toronto Stanley Park Kitchener Peterborough South Peterborough Zellers Centre Waterloo Hawkesbury Gateway Hawkesbury County Fair Thunder Bay Gloucester City Centre Ottawa County Fair Plaza Hamilton Fairview Mall St. Catharines Arthur Street Marketplace Thunder Bay Northland Mall London Georgetown Market Place Georgetown Tillsonburg Town Centre Tillsonburg Station Mall Sault Ste. Marie Kingsway Village Oshawa 404 Town Centre Newmarket Carriage Shopping Centre Listowel Quebec Centre Domaine Montreal Plaza Côte des Neiges Montreal Place Desormeaux Longueuil Les Promenades de Sorel Sorel Les Galeries de la Pocatière Pocatière Carrefour de la Pointe Montreal Les Galeries Quatres Saisons Sherbrooke Le Faubourg de L'Île Pincourt Maritimes Lancaster Mall Saint John Zellers Plaza St. John's Colby Village Plaza Dartmouth North Sydney North Sydney Zellers Plaza
Sobeys to supply Target Canada with food and grocery products
STELLARTON, NS and MINNEAPOLIS, MN, Sept. 23, 2011 /CNW/ - Sobeys Inc. and Target Canada Co. announced today they have entered into a long-term wholesale distribution arrangement that will see Sobeys supply Target stores in Canada with select food and grocery products.
Beginning in early 2013, Sobeys will supply Target's food and grocery requirements for frozen, dairy, and dry grocery products, inclusive of both national brand and Target's private label brands.
"We are pleased to welcome Target as a valued wholesale customer. The associated increased revenue, and the supply chain efficiencies which will lower our costs, will continue to strengthen our competitive position," said Bill McEwan, President & CEO, Sobeys Inc.
"Target is excited to be working with a partner like Sobeys. We look forward to building a strong relationship that creates value across both companies for a long time to come," said Tony Fisher, President, Target Canada.
Through its coast-to-coast network of 23 food distribution centres, Sobeys will be able to provide the same high level of service to Target's store network as it does to its own network of 1,300 stores across the country. The two companies have also agreed to leverage each other's distribution networks to mutually reduce transportation expenses.
In addition to the wholesale distribution arrangement, both companies will also explore additional supply chain opportunities.
About Sobeys Inc.
Sobeys Inc. is a leading national grocery retailer and food distributor headquartered in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. A wholly-owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited (TSX:EMP.A), Sobeys owns or franchises more than 1,300 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Price Chopper and Thrifty Foods, as well as Lawtons Drug Stores. Sobeys Inc. is committed to providing the most worthwhile experience for its customers, employees, franchisees, suppliers and shareholders. More information on Sobeys Inc. can be found at www.sobeyscorporate.com.
Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT) serves guests at 1,762 stores across the United States and at Target.com. The Company will open its first stores in Canada in 2013. In addition, the company operates a credit card segment that offers branded proprietary credit card products. Since 1946, Target has given 5 percent of its income through community grants and programs; today, that giving equals more than $3 million a week. For more information about Target's commitment to corporate responsibility, visit Target.com/hereforgood.