Here is an interesting piece from Business Insider on the traits that set Costco apart:
- Costco sells a limited number of items.
- Costco relies on customers purchasing high volumes.
- Costco has customers pay for memberships.
- Costco offers workers better pay.
- Costco aims for high-end customers
- Costco doesn't advertise.
- Costco offers some of the industry's best health care benefits.
- Founder Jim Sinegal ignores Wall Street's advice to raise prices.
- Costco offers very small mark-ups.
- Craig Jelinek makes a low salary by Fortune 500 CEO standards.
- Costco works with unions.
- Costco focuses on providing value to small business entrepreneurs.
- Costco is always working to refine selections.
- Costco refunds memberships or purchases for any reason.
Full article is here